This is a simple snack/appetizer that requires a HEATPROOF glass or food grade metal dinner plate (9" to 10" diameter) since to finish this recipe requires BROILING (top heat) method of cooking. If you don't have heatproof plates, the finishing method requires your buddy microwave if your plate is only microwavable. No microwave? Make sure the cooked ground beef is very hot so that shredded cheese melts & would stick to the other ingredients.
Oven to table plate (heatproof) or food grade, metal plate
Slotted (cooking) spoon
Strainer or all-purpose coriander
3 tbsp. cooking oil
1 lb lean ground beef
2 teaspoons taco seasoning to taste
Bag of corn tortilla chips, restaurant/cantina style
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 medium tomato, finely diced
Bag of shredded Mexican cheese, enough to cover tortilla chips & ground beef.
1 Avocado, pitted & sliced
Salt & pepper to taste.
Dash of hot sauce or salsa (optional)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro for garnishing (optional)
1. Read entire recipe/procedure inc. notes below.
2. Meat should be completely defrosted if frozen; set aside.
3. Position oven rack in the lowest part of the oven; turn on oven to preheat and set to broiling.
4. Prepare your onion, tomato, & other ingredients.
5. Arrange 1 layer (about 2 handfuls) of corn tortilla chips on heatproof plate.
6. Preheat skillet pan on medium high for 3 minutes.
7. Add oil on hot pan; make it hot for 10 seconds.
8. Carefully slide ground beef together with taco seasoning and cook for 10-20 minutes on medium high.
9. Back to the plate of l layer tortilla chips: spread shredded cheese (as much or less as you want) on top of chips.
10. Using the slotted spoon or strainer, THOROUGHLY drain a scoop of hot, ground beef and spread them over the chips & cheese. Repeat: ground beef should be drained well from oil or its juices.
11. Spread another layer of cheese on top of hot meat, then layer the onions & tomato, then sprinkle cheese again.
12. Repeat process from #5, 9, 10 and 11 if making another plate.
13. Place the plate with the assembled nachos in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted but NOT crusty.
Remove from oven. BE CAREFUL. HOT plate!
Garnish with avocado slices and chopped cilantro (optional).
Let cool or dig in. MAKE SURE you are holding hot plate with a kitchen towel or just let it cool completely to be safe.
Note 1: you can also add sliced olives & cilantro the same time as the onions & tomato.
Note 2: if using microwave, cook on high for 40 seconds after assembling/layering and before the avocado garnish.
Note 3: no taco seasoning? Mix 1 teaspoon each of granulated powdered onion, granulated garlic, chili powder, ground cumin and ground coriander; salt & pepper to taste. Use as called for in the recipe above.