Monday, February 15, 2016

Really Old-Fashioned Southern Red Velvet Cake



 I was craving for Red Velvet Cake since the Holidays and was only able to make it on Valentine's day, when we got back from lunch. It's been awhile since we had some real barbecued meat from somewhere else other than me or my husband grilling it and it's been awhile since we were at this barbecue place in town. Long story short, we were just hankering for that "smoked meat". I have been grilling since it warmed up but there is just something different about a charred, smokey, savory, fall off the bone ribs pork or moist, melt in your mouth, shredded beef. Plus-that's were the old man took  me so off I went (tee-hee). We cleaned up our plate big time, the server (manager?) seemed amazed (Haha!) that she even entertained us of the other stuff during the weekdays and regular weekend menu! 

Back to this cake... I could have just asked the old man to buy me a 2 layer red velvet cake (heck I'll just buy it myself, how 'bout that?) but I did not because I have this recipe for a year now of a red velvet cake with a history.

I would make red velvet cake at least once a year for no reason (documented or not)-most of them recipes taken out of other bloggers blog just to try what the heck they're talking about-the difference between this blogger's recipe to the other blogger's recipe! (Yelling.)

Got tired of adaptations of this and that so I just have to google "vintage red velvet cake recipe" just to get into the root of all these bs and this recipe showed up top two from different sites but I never saw any blogger making it except NYtimes Food.

Everybody else is pin-ning, liking, plus one-ning these historical article about this particular red velvet cake which is not bright red but no one was trying to make it so what better way to add an image to this recipe but me (well NYTimes Food is an institution and I'm just a mousy, food blogger in a wannabe-in-the-map desert town).

Turns out RVC does have a grassroots story according to Arthur Schwartz  the food maven of all food maven (Please just click thru his biography from the link). He points out that there are only three kinds of RVC-all using buttermilk, vinegar and some form of fat-where it all differs: butter, shortening (lard) and vegetable oil. Mr. Schwartz said that the best of the three was the one using vegetable oil because it describes the "velvet" texture of the cake. The original recipe he said was found in a fund-raising cookbook called "Celebrating Our Mothers' Kitchens: Treasured Memories and Tested Recipes" by the National Council of Negro Women.

When following a recipe FROM an actual cookbook, and blogging about it-I usually just type word for word the recipe (with annotations) because I admit-what's the use of wasting your time changing the wordings if you follow the recipe to the T-to the T! But on this post, since I don't have the cookbook on my hand, I will just have a photo to go by the recipe links. If you follow another recipe other than mentioned above, the photo is useless. Note: it is not a bright red cake but more of a wine-y brown-red cake. Either way, you will have the most velvety RVC ever in your mouth!

Good luck.
Post a Comment