I don't remember when I first had this dish but I know I wasn't a kid anymore nor a teen. It was in a party and this was one of the dishes being served. I don't recall the celebration or even the hosts. No idea too where it was. I just have the vivid memory that it was some exclusive, private party.
The beef part that is used for this dish has to be cut up 2 inches long and half inch thick after being pounded to tenderize then marinated. It must be the brisket, chuck, flank or plate.
Here, I used "petite top sirloin" beef and there is no tenderizing needed, no slicing to small pieces necessary. With only 7 ingredients including the meat-what makes this exciting is the slight lemon tartness that lingers every time you chew and swallow each bite. I just added the red bell pepper as an afterthought for color but usually onion is the only vegetable with this dish.
Just double the recipe if serving for more than 2 people.
1 lb beef top sirloin steaks (about two 8 oz)
1 large onion, sliced crosswise into half inch thick.
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons cracked peppercorn
1/3 c water
4 T cooking oil of choice. Please do not use olive oil.
1. Read the recipe
2. Prepare the ingredients.
3. Marinate the steak with the soy sauce, lemon juice, water and cracked peppercorn; 45 minutes.
4. Preheat a large pan until droplets of water roll and evaporate to a steam. Please do not use non-stick.
Sear the Meat:
5. Add the oil in the hot pan. Here comes the messy part: slowly drop the steaks facing the back of the stove away from you. Sear for 15 seconds each side. You might want to loosely cover it to prevent oil splatter.
6. Set aside the marinating mixture.
7. Remove the meats from the pan and let it rest on a plate for at least a minute. Do not pile the meat; do not touch or poke the meat; do not remove the meat juices.
8. While the meats are resting, pour the marinating mixture in the pan and let it boil to a simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, add back the meats and juices and turn up the heat to high.
9. Immediately place slices of onion on top of the meat and cover.
10. Let it cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Do NOT uncover until ready to serve.
What else can you eat it with but boiled, white (or brown) RICE. Baked potatoes is great too!