Tuesday, May 31, 2016

No fry fried rice


This is a sinful comfort food. Professional rice aficionados will swear at me for a nonsense recipe.

It is a dish flavored with oil drippings. So you don't want to do this everyday-at all! It's something you eat when you are too hungry to make anything but you have uncooked (or cooked) rice, instead of potato chips or some crackers.

I guess you can try it with brown rice but I haven't tried that yet. In this case, I used the pan drippings from the Lechon Kawali I made the same day I steamed the rice.

If you only have leftover rice, microwave it first. The drippings you will use should be at room temperature to prevent the rice from creating gluten. I don't know what I am talking about but it's just from experience I learned from making this since I was a kid coming home from school. Hot rice gets glutinous when mixed with another hot ingredient.


Recipe for 1:

1 cup steam, hot white rice (if not freshly steamed, microwave it first)
3 T oil from pan or deep frying meat or (smoked) fish.
1/2 t sea salt
Pinch of cracked black pepper

Procedure:

Place the hot rice on a plate or salad bowl
Throw in all the other ingredients on the rice
Toss and mix until well incorporated

Eat and enjoy!

Note: you can also use the drippings from some meat or fish you baked-instead of from pan/deep frying.