Saturday, January 14, 2017

creating a recipe out of a transcript from a cooking show: stuffed banana peppers

Long story short-this is inspired by that show with guy fieri running around any nook and cranny of the country, sampling specialty recipes of a restaurant. I'm talking about Diners, Drive-ins and Dives of Food Network. i also like watching his cooking show because the Guy (get it?) can cook and I can really relate to his recipes and flavor profiles. sorry, I don't watch his grocery game show.

Anyway, in the triple D show, Pizza Junction of Tonawanda, NY was featured. the place has been closed for several years now but Food Network still reruns the show.

The moment the show was over, I totally forgot most of the ingredients and procedure. For some reason, I can't seem to record these **d-damn shows using the remote. So I searched for the recipe on food network to no avail. Not even on youtube or vimeo, etc. I did found the transcript of the show from another site. yeah-can you believe it? It's a transcript of the show!

I've been meaning to make this since last year-immediately right after I watched the episode. It was around November or December. I had all the ingredients except the peppers and most of the grocery store wasn't selling them so this week-the old man and I found them in the best produce store in town and it was on sale! Bought at least 2 lbs = 12 pieces.

So below are the original ingredients from the show as read from the transcript:

olive oil
fresh banana peppers
butter
cloves garlic
white onion
banana peppers
kosher salt
black pepper
hot sauce
grated jalapeno jack cheese
Romano cheese
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
grated Parmesan cheese
chopped tomato

Read below:


Here is my own recipe based from the show/transcript. Really proud of this recipe. I kinda tweak it since I thought i can and so I did!

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
12 pcs banana peppers, cap removed and cored
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves cloves garlic
1 t gran garlic
1/2 of a red onion, finely chopped
1 t gran onion
3 jalapeno peppers, pith and seeds removed
half of a bell pepper finely chopped
3 T jarred pimiento, drained and finely chopped
1/2 t salt
1 t cracked, black pepper

1 ½ grated white and yellow cheddar cheese
1 ½ Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 ½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Topping (garnish):

grated Parmesan cheese
chopped tomato

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350° F

Soak the jalapeno in cold water and 2 t salt; 1 hour.

Lightly brush peppers with olive oil shove in the oven preheated to 350° F. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. 

Remove jalapeno from water-salt soak; finely chop and set aside.

Throw the rest of the rest of the ingredients inc chopped jalapeƱo (except toppings) in a large bowl and mix by hand until well combined. This is your stuffing mixture.

Carefully fill each roasted banana peppers with the stuffing mixture-making sure it reaches the bottom tip of the peppers.

Set on a lightly oiled baking/cookie pan 1" apart.


In the show, the chef said to bake for 350° F, 5-7 minutes (that is for the exact ingredients and measurement he used) so I set it to 10 minutes (since I added additional ingredients in mine) but it seems it just came out heated through. I placed it back in the oven to bake for additional 10 minutes  and the filling burst out (Shown in photos; bad idea.). So I suggest 12-15 minutes would be perfect using MY recipe.

Read below...




This turned out really, really good but using my recipe made it spicy hot! If you can handle it-go ahead use my recipe. Otherwise tweak it yourself by removing the jalapeno in it.
Post a Comment