Tuesday, October 25, 2016

cafe-style pumpkin muffins with rolled oats and pumpkin seeds


Pre-note: to skip my rant, the "print" button/link is always on the top, right side of the blog. Don't forget to click the "remove images" if you don't want to include the photos.

****************************************************

These are called "Rachel's pumpkin muffins" by the famous "Cafe Beaujolais" of  Mendocino city, CA. (No, I haven't been to that place. ) Since it's pumpkin season-I might as well jump on the bandwagon of food bloggers cooking and talking about "pumpkin" (I really don't need to.)

I adapted the recipe from the cookbook (I bought in a garage sale!) but tweaked it a little bit by adding 1/4 c more of oil as Margaret Fox, the author, said "this was kinda dense".  The recipe says "corn oil" but I used a cooking oil blend since that was what I had.

I wondered if she meant that it looks (and feels in the mouth) like a pound cake gone wrong that  when you slice a piece, both sides are smooth and partly uncooked (you know what I'm saying?) which meant it did not have enough baking soda or powder. Anyway, I went ahead and add that extra oil (optional) as if I know what I'm doing (tahaha). I also decorated these muffins by topping them with rolled oats and pumpkin seeds-just because.

By the way, I also changed the way it was baked: instead of baking it at 350°, these muffins were baked under 400°. I just thought having 2 teaspoons of baking soda, these muffins need to 'rise' to its potential hence a really good hot oven will do it's job for the first 10 minutes.

They turned out pretty, pretty good!



Makes 12 muffins (NOT cupcake size)

Ingredients:

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup canola/vegetable/sunflower blend oil plus 1/4 c (optional)
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 can pumpkin puree
3 1/2 cups flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t nutmeg
1 t allspice
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t powdered cloves
2/3 cup water
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c raisins
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/8 cup pumpkin seeds


Procedure:

Preheat oven to 400° F. Line muffin pan with muffin cups or brush pan with oil and sprinkle each cavity with flour. Tap off flour, set aside.

Mix together sugar, oil, eggs and pumpkin. Set aside. In another bowl, sift together all dry ingredients, and add, a little at a time alternating with water to the pumpkin mixture. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, combine after each addition. Do not overmix. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Do not overmix.

Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake for 10 minutes at 400° then lower oven heat to 375° and continue baking for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted all the way to the bottom of a muffin comes out clean.